Saturday 5 December 2009

A rare find





John has recently come across this absolutely beautiful kelim. Sometimes he'll come across something that stands out by a million miles and you realise that you're in the presence of something very rare and special. And indeed, this is a Karabagh. These weavings come from the southernmost region of the Caucasus, and were renowned as being extremely decorative works, often featuring a French-inspired (Aubusson/Savonnerie) floral scheme as demonstrated beautifully here. I believe the design is known as gol farangi or "European rose" pattern, which became popular all over the Caucasus and Persia during the second half of the nineteenth century, and modern pieces don't use these designs anymore, so to come across them is a rare and delightful ocassion.

I don't like to put an accurate date on anything without having strong evidence, but I can't help but think that it's belongs somewhere between the 1920s to 1940s- those colours are so Art Deco! I'd be surprised if it was anything later. I'm not in any hurry to sell this, but in case you're wondering it's 235 x 182 cm and the price is £845.00 and you'll have to get through me first.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Lindsey, I just came across the comment you left on my blog about a month ago! I do believe the small green turtle may belong to Florence, in fact, by coincidence, she questioned its whereabouts only yesterday. I will swing by later to retrieve it!
    Nice blog, I will add it to my links if that's OK.
    Claud x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, nice rug! lovely reading all about it, really adds another depth to it, knowing it's history. Will have to come and have a look, beautiful colours! great blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. See the thousands of expertly personalised, and unique gifts at One Of A Kind Design UK. Shop our curated collection of personalised gifts uk.

    ReplyDelete